Thanksgiving Day is a holiday in the United
States celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. It is the day when many
people take a day off on Friday, so they have a four-day weekend. They usually
travel long distances to visit their friends and relatives. I would call it a
special family occasion. All they do is get together for a special meal. The
meal that they prepare often includes a turkey, stuffing, potatoes, cranberry
sauce, gravy, pumpkin pie, and vegetables. It is the day when many people give
thanks for what they have.
The holiday dates back to 1621. It is the
year when Pilgrims arrived in Massachusetts to search for religious freedom.
Nearly half of the Pilgrims died after the horrible winter. But they turned for
help to the Native Americans, who taught them how to plant corn and other
crops, so the next harvest in autumn was very successful.
The countries where they celebrate
Thanksgiving Day are as I said the United States,then Canada, Liberia, Puerto
Rico, Norfolk Island and Grenada. Several other places around the world, for
example Germany or Japan, observe similar celebrations.
In my opinion it is somehow similar to
Christmas. People gather, eat a lot, talk and have fun. When I think about it
Thanksgiving Day is maybe even better than Christmas, there are no presents, no
rush. The only better thing about Christmas is Christmas tree, that’s the thing
that I would definitely miss but nothing else. I wish people would reconsider
their wishes and they would realize that there are more important things in the
world than new iPhone under the Christmas tree.
Žádné komentáře:
Okomentovat